Skip to main content


Go Search
Information Point

Henfield Parish Council > Museum

TEMPORARY EXHIBITION FROM 12th June 2015 for three months

Artists and Craftsmen of Henfield

This exhibition shows paintings and drawings by the residents of Henfield dating back to the late 1800s, many of which have not been shown before. There are also the Glasby stained glass work paintings, and examples of wood turning by Peter Spear.

FREE ADMISSION See below for opening times

Henfield Museum
The Henfield Hall, Coopers Way, Henfield BN5 9DB

Managed by Henfield Parish Council

Henfield Museum is full of items of local interest, please pay us a visit. We have copies of the Henfield, Shermanbury and Woodmancote census records, churchyard memorial inscriptions and Shermanbury archives, which can be viewed without prior appointment. The Museum staff are committed to providing a good customer service, and will do what they can to make your visit to the Museum both enjoyable and rewarding.

Opening Times

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
10.00 am - 12.00
2.30 pm - 4.30 pm
2.30 pm - 4.00 pm
Sundays; Bank Holidays; Easter Weekend and the period between Christmas and New Year

The Museum is happy to open at other times for group visits, by prior arrangement with the Curator

There is free parking outside in the public car park, with disabled parking bays.

How to find us
By car
The Museum is located in the Henfield Hall, Coopers Way, BN5 9DB, which turns east off Henfield High Street.

By bus
The following bus services stop in the High Street, a few minutes walk from the Museum

17     Brighton to Horsham
100   Burgess Hill to Pulborough
106   Henfield to Worthing

How to contact us
For general enquiries, via Henfield Parish Council office:
tel: 01273 492507   email:

For special Museum visits by groups or schools, including guided tours of the village, please contact the Curator, Alan Barwick:
tel: 01273 493155   email: (marked for the attention of Alan Barwick)

The museum is owned and run by Henfield Parish Council. It began in a small way in 1948 gaining its first permanent site when the new village hall was built in 1974. The present building was opened in 1994.

The objects exhibited range from early fossils and flint implements, through the Medieval and Tudor era to the Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian periods. Household objects from these times recall Henfield in the past. There are many farm tools on display with a horse-drawn plough together with a mid-Victorian pump outside.

Uniforms of the Sussex Rifle Volunteers Regiment take pride of place, not only because they belonged to prominent Henfield members, but also because they were made by Longley Bros. outfitters, close to the museum in Henfield High Street. Dresses from a more leisurely time show how Henfield ladies dressed in earlier times.

There is an extensive collection of local paintings and photographs showing the village, churches, farmhouses, country houses, cottages and rural lanes, etc.

An eight-change bell set made in the early Victorian period by local eccentric, Bob Ward, and a "penny farthing" bicycle made in 1887 by Mr. W. A. Powell who had a workshop in the High Street have a prime position in the Museum. Nearby is a one man ambulance purchased by the Parish Council in 1908 and in use until the 1930's. Railway relics remind us of the Horsham to Shoreham Railway closed in 1966.

Temporary Exhibitions
Temporary exhibitions on local themes are staged three times a year.  The current exhibition is of World War One postcards and will run until 5th January.

The Museum is on one level and is suitable for wheelchair access.

Toilet facilities (including disabled) are available on site.

Refreshments are not available in the Museum but there are inns, restaurants and tearooms in the High Street, a few minutes’ walk away.

The Museum runs educational activities tied to the school curriculum in collaboration with local schools. We also offer an outreach service to local nursing homes, conducting reminiscence sessions.

Research Facilities
Transcripts of the Census returns for Henfield, Shermanbury and Woodmancote are available to view during Museum opening hours.

Other archives relating to Henfield can be viewed by prior arrangement with the Curator.

The Museum’s Photographic Collection
The Museum holds a large collection of photographs of Henfield and negatives taken by Marjorie Baker, comprising mainly portrait work between 1930s and 1990s. For more details about the collection or for copies of images please contact the Curator.


Pictures link

Click HERE for link



To see the searchable Catalogue of Books held by the Museum please click HERE 
A searchable copy of the Acquisitions Database is being prepared for the Museum site and will be published later this year.

 Museum Pictures

Henfield Museum is within the Henfield Hall.  On display outside are an old plough and hand-operated pump.
This is one of the Museum's long-term temporary displays celebrating a history of local weddings. Here are a 1960s dress and one from mid-Victorian times.  Other dresses are displayed from time to time.
Uniforms of the SRV (late C19) made by Longley Bros of Henfield.  The Sgt's uniform (L) belonged to George Roberts a local builder and Surgeon's uniform (R) belonged to Dr Caudle after whom Caudle St is named.
Henfield Museum is contained within a single room, crowded with items of interest.
This display of various dairy-related items includes a large butter churn used on a local farm, milking stool, a small household churn , skimmers and pans.
This shows a detailed view of the village at 2000.  Poster-sized copies are on sale at the Museum (£4.00).
A display of farming and other tools.  The smock is from the 19 century and belonged to a local bailiff.
The original portrait is at Parham House.  He lived mostly at Parsonage House, Henfield, being appointed Postmaster General in 1660 by Charles II, a post he held for 3 years.  His terrier bitch helped save his life when hiding from Parliamentary troops.
19c watercolour of the Nep Town Windmill which blew down in a gale c1908.  This was one of two windmills that existed in Henfield in the early 1900s, the other windmill (demolished 1953) was on the Lydds, south of Henfield Common.
(More Items...)